Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day 244

Joyva "Joys" Candy: Today's new food is another selection that the GF picked up for me yesterday at the Toco Hills Kroger. Unlike other Krogers in the area, the Toco location features a large kosher selection, which luckily offers me a good supply for new experiences. When she showed me this "chocolate covered jelle" bar she found, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What is "jelle," and was it going to taste good covered in chocolate? It was up to me to find out.
After unwrapping it this afternoon, it looked like a million other candy bars I've eaten. I broke it in half to check out the inside, and the thin outer layer of chocolate revealed a firm, dark red, jelly-like substance on the inside. I took a bite and was fairly pleased: the milk chocolate shell was nothing new, but the filling had an odd texture that reminded me of solidified jelly with a strawberry-ish taste. Maybe it's just because I was craving something sweet, but I ate the whole bar quickly. Not bad.
I'm not sure if I'd try this one again, but I'm glad I gave it a shot. And, apparently "jelle" is just like jelly, only firmer. I really love that I'm able to learn so much about food from doing this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment