Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 235

Trubochki: Ok, so I know I said I'd give my readers a rest from Eastern European/Russian food after last week's run, but I found something today at the Buford Highway Farmers Market in the Eastern Euro section that I couldn't resist. And yes, I found plenty of other items elsewhere in the market that weren't in that category, but for today, I had to try these.

When I first spotted these trubochki, they reminded me of chocolate-dipped ice cream cones. The label stated that they were "trubochki with condensed milk," so I assumed they'd contain some sort of creamy filling. A dessert with a wafer-like shell, filled with cream, then dipped in chocolate and nuts? I couldn't say no to that.
I couldn't wait to tear into these after dinner tonight, so I eagerly opened the container after I was done. Each trubochki was about 6 or 7 inches long, and dipped in chocolate and nuts on each end. I cut one in half, and it was filled at each end with a brown substance that looked like a mix of brown sugar and caramel. I took a bite and was really, really happy. The wafer shell wasn't that crunchy after being filled and coated, but all the ingredients combined to make one of the best desserts I've had in awhile. The filling tasted like sweetened condensed milk that had been reduced, and it was actually a bit grainy instead of creamy. Overall, it reminded me of a cannoli, but not nearly as rich. Highly recommend.
What can I say - I can't resist Eastern European treats. I really need to visit some of those countries one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment