Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 249

Macaroons: I know that today's new food may sound just like something I tried during the first few weeks of the blog, but trust me, there's a big difference between macaroons and macarons. One is a classic French pastry, while the other is a staple of Jewish cuisine. While I'm partial to the former, I was curious to find out what macaroons were all about after a friend gave me some to sample. These weren't homemade, but the ones produced by Manischewitz that are common in most grocery stores.

I was craving an afternoon snack today, so I decided to give them a try with my coffee. Each piece was about the size of a quarter, and I was told that these were flavored with chocolate and cherry. I knew beforehand that macaroons were made primarily from coconut, which I love. It's hard for me to not like any type of sweet or pastry, so based on the ingredients, I knew they wouldn't be bad.
After finishing the few pieces I had, I immediately wished I had more. They were extremely moist, and the toasted coconut mixed with the chocolate and cherry pieces was pretty awesome. Each piece was bite size, so maybe it's better that I didn't have a whole container - I would have burned through them quickly. Now that I know how good they are, I'll be scouring the kosher section of my local Kroger to buy them. Good stuff.

According to Wikipedia, macaroons are apparently popular during Passover due to their lack of flour or leavening, but I could eat these year-round. Maybe I'll look for a good homemade version around town soon, but until then, these will definitely do.

2 comments: