Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 20

Rebanadas: This weekend is another one spent on the road for me - the band I play with is gigging in VA for 2 nights. Of course, this can present problems when trying to discover a new food, but I was lucky enough to find a Latin section in a QT gas station yesterday. Some of the snacks looked like the American versions of familiar favorites, but I found a couple that were interesting to me that I'd never had.

Rebanadas ("frosted toast") appeared to be a piece of some sort of bread with frosting on it, but I'd never heard of it. I opened the bag this morning, and it was exactly that - 2 pieces of super-crunchy toasted bread, with a white frosting on top. I took a bite, and it really wasn't that bad. It tasted like a danish or honey bun, but maybe one that's been left out to go a bit stale. The icing tasted like white cake icing, so not really any new flavors to be had with this one. Nonetheless, I'm glad that I discovered that a lot of gas stations have a Latin section - that may make it easier to do this crazy experiment on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment