Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 29

Dolsot Bibimbap: I started this week with no blog-worthy foods on hand, so I headed out to the Super H Mart in Doraville with the GF this afternoon. Super H (www.hmart.com) is a supermarket that's sort of new to the Atlanta market, and they cater to a large Asian demographic. I knew they'd have some great stuff for me to browse thruough, and I also heard they had an interesting food court. Since we hadn't had lunch, we decided to hit the food court first. There were some standard Japanese/Chinese stalls, but we settled on the Korean vendor. There were several tasty-looking offerings, but I went with the Bibimbap.

Bibimbap is a traditional Korean dish, consisting of a bowl of warm white rice covered with various meat and vegetable toppings. I ordered the "dolsot" version, which was served in a sizzling hot stone pot and topped with a fried egg. The egg was what sold me on the dish - I love anything topped with a fried egg, so I couldn't resist. Everything looked super fresh, and the other toppings consisted of kimchi, seaweed, mushrooms, bean sprouts, and ground pork. The idea is to break open the egg, then mix it up with everything else in the pot. The heat from the pot also made the rice on the bottom crunchy, which was a really nice touch. They also included a side of kimchi and a bowl of miso soup. I was really glad I tried this - it was insanely good. The flavors worked so well together, and the crunchy, caramelized rice was one of my favorite things about it. I'll definitely be ordering this again, no matter where I see it on the menu. Awesome.

I also picked up several other items for the week, so stay tuned for more Super H related posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment