Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day 41

Pluot: Today's post comes from Chattanooga, TN - I'm typing in the lobby of the Holiday Inn. I'm on the road with my band this weekend, and I brought along something new to try today for breakfast. I went by the grocery store on the way out of town, and I spied a fruit that I'd heard of, but never had: pluot. It looked and felt a lot like a plum when I picked it up, and I was intrigued. After a little research at the hotel this morning, I found out that a pluot is a complex hybrid between a plum and an apricot. I like plums, and the apricot I tried last week was tasty, so I was looking forward to trying this.
I took my first bite, and it instantly reminded me of a plum. The skin was thin and easily bitten through, and the flesh was juicy and sweet, much like a plum's. I didn't pick up many of the apricot traits, but it was definitely tasty anyway. The description I read on the internet said that they were known for their sweetness, but this one was more tart to me. I quickly devoured it, and could have easily eaten another due to it's small size. Pluots are a stone fruit, so I was left with a small pit after I finished.

I've decided that I definitely need to start eating more fruit - I always feel better about myself when I do. Maybe I'll hit some Buford Highway markets this coming week in search of some new ones to report. In the meantime, on to Knoxville tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment