Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 17

Beignets: Sorry for the late post tonight - just getting home from Vegas. Had an awesome time with some great food, and I luckily found some brand new eats to blog about along the way. Today's post comes from Bouchon Bakery, once again. I was browsing the pastry counter with the GF this morning on our way out of the Venetian, and I spotted something that I'd seen on menus a million times, but never tried: beignets. Along with a few other insanely good pastries (pain au raisin, cheese danish), I bought a pair of these.

Beignets are little doughnuts that derive from French cuisine, and they're made from deep-fried dough that's coated in sugar or other toppings. These also had fillings - one with chocolate, the other with raspberry jam. Sounds amazing already, right? I knew these couldn't be bad, considering how good all the other pastries from the bakery had been. I took a bite of the raspberry-filled one, and it was pretty much like a doughnut, but a little heavier. If you've ever had a jelly-filled Krispy Kreme, these weren't that much different in concept, but way better and less sickly-sweet. They put a lot of the filling inside this one, so I was glad that I ate it in the hotel room before leaving. I sampled the chocolate one on the plane going home, and it was filled with a super tasty filling that I eagerly licked off my fingers. And, it was covered with chocolate sprinkles, which only added to the awesomeness.

I think me and the GF counted 12 pastries bought from the Bouchon counter on this trip. Needless to say, we'll both be dieting, effective immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment