Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 23

Armour Potted Meat: This is something I've been curious about since I was a kid - my dad used to eat it on crackers or toast, and I always wondered what the hell it really was. I was shopping at Kroger the other day, and decided it was time I try it after all these years of curiosity.

Before I opened it, I did a little internet research on what potted meat really is. Honestly, I wish I hadn't have inquired about its origins. You thought hot dogs or bologna were sketchy? That's nothing compared to this stuff. Potted meat is basically a finely blended mix of beef and chicken parts, with some additives and flavoring mixed in. If you want to be grossed out, read the Wikipedia entry on how its made.

So, who eats that stuff? Me, of course! I opened the can, and was a bit disturbed by what I saw. The stuff inside was a strange pinkish color, and the texture reminded me of a hot dog that's been pureed until creamy. Not exactly appetizing. I spread some on a saltine cracker and took a bite, and it reminded me of hot dog, but saltier. I learned that the salt is used as a preservative, but I wonder what the shelf-life is on it. I'm guessing it won't expire till the next millennium. I'm all about pates/terrines/headcheese/offal, but I really felt like I shouldn't be putting this product in my body. It tasted OK, but nothing I'd care to try again.

Dad, you have some explaining to do!

1 comment: