Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 34

Hamentaschen: After a busy weekend on the road with the band, I wasn't in much of a mood to seek out something new tonight. I spent the whole day coming back from Oxford, MS, and despite my best efforts at scouring rural convenience stores, I found nothing. However, the GF came to the much-needed rescue tonight. During a visit to Goldberg's Deli in Atlanta today (www.goldbergsdeli.net), she picked up some Hamentaschen for me, since she knew I'd probably never had them.

Hamentaschen are a cookie-type pastry native to Jewish cuisine, and they're known for their three-cornered shape. They're filled with various fruit fillings, and apparently sometimes chocolate or caramel as well. Appearance-wise, they reminded me of the rugulach pastries I've had from Jewish delis before, and I hoped that these were just as good. Upon first taste, they did remind me of rugulach, but less sweet and a little drier. These were tasty, and as good as any bakery-style cookie I've had. The GF explained that they use less butter in hamentaschen, which explained the degree of dryness. I enjoyed them for sure, but I think I prefer the rugulach overall - they're a bit richer and sweeter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment