Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 38

Arancini: Ive been doing a little more restaurant visiting than normal lately, but that didn't stop me from being excited about Inman Park Restaurant Week (www.inmanparkrestaurantweek.com). For those of you who've never heard of it, its a great way to get an amazing deal on some good food in the Inman Park area. I'm a fan of several of the restaurants taking part, but me and the GF were in the mood for pizza, so we headed down to Fritti (www.frittirestaurant.com).

The tasting menu had several options for starters, but I immediately noticed something that I'd never had before: arancini, which are Sicilian risotto croquettes. Fritti's version also featured sausage. Basically, that translates into balls of fried risotto, with sausage in the middle. I love risotto and sausage (and fried goodness), so how could they be bad?

Our server brought them to the table, and I noticed that they didn't look greasy at all, which is a problem with lots of deep-fried foods. At first, it seemed like frying something as rich as risotto would be pure overkill, but after I took a bite, that was anything but true. The crunchy, fried exterior gave way to a warm, creamy center of risotto and sausage. Awesome. I could have gladly eaten 20 of these, but luckily only had 4 to devour before my pizza arrived. I told the GF that they'd make an awesome bar snack, paired with a good craft beer. Maybe I'll try that approach next time.

I also had a really good pizza with pancetta, hot pepper and caramelized onion. If you haven't been to Fritti, try and go this week - the tasting menu deal lasts through 9/26.

No comments:

Post a Comment